We Connect Parents and Children with the Foundations and Love of Reading
You are your child’s first teacher, but it doesn’t have to be difficult and we are here to help!
As a parent juggling a job, house work and child raising it can be hard to find the time to work on your child’s development. Remember that even 10 or 15 minutes of quality time each day has a long and lasting impact on the development of your child. You are their first teacher, after all!
Our goal is to help children get ready to read through storytelling, events and sharing early learning tips with caregivers. The Coalition offers the following resources for North Florida (Baker, Bradford, Clay, Nassau, Putnam and St. Johns Counties) which includes:
- Toddler Fests – This popular event at local libraries includes storytelling, music, crafts and visits from book characters. Every toddler receives a free book.
Literacy Programs, Workshops & Volunteer Opportunities
- Read to Me – For expecting and new parents
- Reading Pals – Links child care providers with community volunteers who read to children
- Read for the Record – Participate in the national JumpStart reading campaign every October to beat the world record of having kids being read the same book at the same time.
- Three-Year-Old Book Bag Project – Every fall, book bags are filled with one dozen books and delivered to local 3-year-olds. A special program is put on and special guests like Clifford and Elmo are present to give out the books.
- Themed Story-Time Programs – Programs include story time, music, puppets and activities all relating to a certain theme. Every child receives a free book and the teacher receives a bag of resources. These programs are put on directly in local childcare centers by ELC staff and volunteers from February to June.
- Baby Book Bags – Book bags filled with books suited for children aged from birth to two years are given out to parents that come in to receive school readiness services.
- Children’s Movement Simultaneous Reading Event – Participate every January in a state-wide simultaneous reading event sponsored by the Children’s Movement of Florida.
- Storytellers – Volunteer theatrical readers
- Book Distribution – Donations to local groups who give to children including the local health department’s Books for Bravery
- Speakers’ Bureau – Advocates for early learning are available to speak to your group
Sponsorship by the Early Learning Coalition of North Florida and the state of Florida, Office of Early Learning.