We Connect Parents and Children with the Foundations and Love of Reading
You are your child’s first teacher, but it doesn’t have to be difficult and we are here to help!
As a parent juggling a job, house work and child raising it can be hard to find the time to work on your child’s development. Remember that even 10 or 15 minutes of quality time each day has a long and lasting impact on the development of your child. You are their first teacher, after all!
Our goal is to help children get ready to read through storytelling, events and sharing early learning tips with caregivers. The Coalition offers the following resources for North Florida (Baker, Bradford, Clay, Nassau, Putnam and St. Johns Counties) which includes:
Literacy Programs & Volunteer Opportunities
- Reading Pals – Links child care providers with community volunteers who read to children
- Read for the Record – Participate in the national JumpStart reading campaign every October to beat the world record of having kids being read the same book at the same time.
- Three-Year-Old Book Bag Project – Every Fall and Spring, book bags are filled by volunteers with 8-10 books and delivered to local 3-year olds.
- Themed Story-Time Programs – Quality themed literacy programs are put on throughout the year in pre-school classrooms. The programs include an interactive story time followed by a time of activities that go along with the theme. Each child receives a free book relating to the theme and the teacher receives a resource packet for their classroom. Themes include: Space, Mother Goose and Rhyming, Meet the Masters of the Arts, Insects, Eric Carle’s World of Colors and more.
- Baby Book Bags – Book bags filled with books suited for children aged from birth to two years are given out to parents that come in to receive school readiness services.
- Children’s Movement Simultaneous Reading Event – Participate every January in a state-wide simultaneous reading event sponsored by the Children’s Movement of Florida.
- Storytellers – Volunteer theatrical readers
- Dr. Seuss Week – During the first week in March in celebration of Dr. Seuss’s birthday programs are put on in at least 8-10 pre-schools. There is a story time with a special visit by the “Cat in the Hat” and an activity time centered on several popular Dr. Seuss books. Each child receives a FREE Dr. Seuss book and the classroom receives a whole set of his books for their classroom.
Sponsorship by the Early Learning Coalition of North Florida and the state of Florida, Division of Early Learning.